Monday, May 9, 2011

Jagannatha of Rajapur

When I went to the Jagannath temple yesterday morning, I saw a small book there - “The Pastimes and History of Lord Jaganntha in Rajapur”. It looked like such a nice book, and I thought some of the stories in there would be fun to read as bedtime stories for Ishaan. There were no copies left there at the Jagannath temple, but I came back to Mayapur and sought it out in the bookshop. Only Rs100... what a bargain for a book packed with nectar!

I read it from cover to cover that afternoon, and although I had heard some of the stories before, I was amazed by every pastime narrated in the book, especially those in the last ten years. Imagine what it must be like to have Lord Jagannath appear in your dream, and smile at you, or chastise you. Imagine how it must feel when you realise that extraordinary thing that happened to you last week/yesterday/today, was actually Lord Jagannatha Himself communicating to you in some way or another. I began to wonder how that could come about for some people so easily and wonder how could I get some of that mercy?

For a start I feel a little uncomfortable asking Jagannath for something, especially something material such as curing a disease or asking for children. I’m not condemning those people who have asked for such things (and gotten results!), each circumstance is different for them, but I just feel like if Jagannath feels I deserve something, He will provide as opposed to me asking. Maybe I don’t deserve that something (whatever it is) and yet I’ll still ask for it? Does that make any sense?

In any case, those were my ponderings yesterday.

So this morning when routinely checking my facebook, someone shared a link about Lord Nrsimhadeva in Mayapur and stories of how he has reciprocated with many devotees.
I’ve been fascinated, and somewhat fearful of Lord Nrsimhadeva here in Mayapur, especially after reading the story of how he came to the temple. After reading the stories on the facebook link, I again started thinking about asking the Lord for some desires and how I don’t want to be all demanding and asking for this and that... ... but I did have one thing I wanted and had been wanting for a long time.

I want to be close to Lord Nrsimhadeva for the abhiseka on Nrsimha Caturdasi in ten days. Last year I watched the abhiseka of Lord Nrsimhadeva on mayapur.tv with Ishaan and my sister, and this year I want to be there, I want to see it in front of me, clear view. Who knows when I’ll get that chance again? The thing is, the area in from of Lord Nrsimhadeva's altar cannot fit hundreds and hundred of people comfortably, and there are hundreds of people who also want the same thing as me, how can I push in with them just for a glimpse? Especially when I have a small 3 year old who wriggles and squirms and is distracted easily. How will I be able to sit in the sweltering heat with Ishaan, surrounded by every other devotee wriggling closer and closer to me - almost right on top of me - in order to get a better view of the Lord?

So this was my plea Lord Jagannath when I went to Rajapur this afternoon, armed with sweet-rice to offer and folded palms. I begged for the opportunity to sit in front of Ugra Nrsimhadeva on Nrsimha Caturdasi in a couple of weeks, and be able to see His abhiseka clearly with my own eyes. My service to Lord Jagannath in return, would be to bring him sweet-rice the day after every ekadasi (dvadasi) during the time I am living in Mayapur. Am I a fool to ask for something like that, something that only the Lord can decide if I deserve, and expect results?

Once I had finished offering the sweet-rice, I stood at the altar, admiring His chandan-covered face, and the beautiful flower dress we had stayed up late into the night before to make. I listened and sang along to my fathers small kirtan behind me, and continuing to pray to Lord Jagannath to fulfil my wish. After a few moments, the pujari stepped on to the altar and gathered a quite a few garlands from Baladeva's left hand and Subhadra's feet, dropped one over my fathers head, and handed me the rest.

Was this Lord Jagannath’s way of answering me? Will he accept my sweet rice? Will I see the abhiseka? In any case, I shall look forward to seeing Your beautiful big smile every dvadasi...

Jai Jagannath!

Deity photographs courtesy of Muralidhara Priya das

No comments:

Post a Comment