Monday, October 10, 2011

Kartik in Mayapur

Kartik always reminds me of the Vraja Mandala Parikram of 1994. I would've been about 11 or 12, and I was travelling through Vraj with my father... and about 500 other devotees. I have good memories of that particular Kartik - early morning wake up, kichari and yoghurt for breakfast, checking the book to see how many kilometres we would be walking that day, stopping under the shade of some trees to hear Deena Bandhu recite many wonderful stories of Krsna's pastimes, performing in the dramas, swimming in all the holy kunds... the list goes on. Because of that year, kartik time has always been the sweetest time of the year, my most favorite.

This year will be a whole different experience, and one I can't wait for. When I first knew I was going to be living in India this year, I had some idea that I would go to Vrndavan for at kartik time, but somehow that hasn't been possible. Instead tomorrow begins a month of lamp offerings, damodarastakam prayers, and candle-lit aratis.

--- -- - -- ---

"If somebody burns a lamp in the temple of Lord Shri Hari even for a short time (in the month of Kartik), then whatever sins, he has acquired for millions of kalpas (one kalpa equals 1000 yugas) are all destroyed." - Padma Purana


No comments:

Post a Comment