Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Half-way

So this week will mark 6 months since leaving New Zealand. I never actually thought I would make it this far without being kicked out of Mayapur - Krsna can even make it look like it was MY idea to leave! It seems my stay here has gone without a hitch too - though I shouldn't get ahead of myself. I've been taken care of and looked after well and different months have brought different experiences and situations.


In the first six months in India, notable achievements - spiritual and not - include:

* Helping with the veshas of Lord Jagannath during chandan yatra.

* Moving house - and back again.

* Started work for the construction of the biggest temple in India. In that, learnt about Photoshop.

* Combining two of my worlds by entertaining a non-devotee friend from New Zealand, showing her all aspects of devotional life in Mayapur and all about Krsna and Srila Prabhupada.

* Chasing a runaway train in Kolkata (and catching it).

* Chanting japa regularly.

* Swimming in the Ganga during rainy season.

* Understanding what it means to worship a deity form of Krsna - or in my case, Sri Anapayini.

* Eating at Govindas restaurant in Kolkata.

* Taking sweet-rice to Lord Jagannath, Baladeva and Subhadra in Rajapur evey dvadasi and getting to take Their beautiful darshan.

* Making new friends and discovering new (creepy Indian) admirers/stalkers.

* Shopping for hours at Newmarket and ending the evening with street food (and NOT getting sick after).

* Discovering a whole world of new festivals I didn't even know existed.

* Started learning Kathak dance.

* Understanding more my relationship with Krsna and what it means to really be a Servant of Sri Radha.


The last 6 months have begun and I am already sad, knowing that soon I won't have the right to call Mayapur home.


1 comment:

  1. The use of your word Creepy Indian might hurt a lot of people. It doesn't suits to a personality who is learning to see the Godhead with inner eyes.
    A trip to the FRO office in Krishnanagar might test your patience and perseverance but there are black Sheeps everywhere. and morever havent your heard this is "INCREDIBLE INDIA". Adios Amigos

    Your neighbourhood indian Devotee or you might call children of lesser gods.


    twinsoul@in.com

    ReplyDelete