Sunday, October 16, 2011

Prayers during Kartik

I arrived at the temple amidst a roaring kirtan, everyone turned towards Lord Nrsimhadeva. Hands were high in the air, sweat beads dripping from foreheads, mouths open in loudly chanting the Lords prayers and best of all, faces of ecstasy and absolute happiness. The resounding "Jaya Nrsimhadeva" came to an end and everyone scrambled for a small space to bow down in front of this ferocious form of the Lord. The room was packed full of people, pilgrims coming from far and wide to catch a glimpse of Sri Madhava.

I came around and up the back of the temple room, and surveyed the ka-zillions of people for small area to sit. As I inched my way closer to the front of the room, the main lights were switched out, and the whole mood of the room changed. Ghee lamps lit every corner of the temple room. The kirtan began a slow tune and everyone's eyes turned to the main altar of Sri Sri Radha Madhava.

I sat down right in the middle of the room, feeling the sweat dripping down my back and not caring about how uncomfortable it made me feel. The Damodarastakam prayers began slowly and everyone hushed, ready for the beautiful song to begin. I love these prayers.

As the eight verses are sung, people move about, offering their small deepas to the deities. Pilgrims, devotees, brahmacaris, young children, old ladies, everyone is there. I observe the flow of the people about me. Some like to offer their lamps fast, like they have somewhere to go, somewhere to be. Some have a path they follow - Radha Madhava, Panca Tattva, then Nrsimhadeva. Some come with friends, some with family, kids, dadi-ma, some come and offer alone. Some hold two lamps and offer them together, like they are offering on behalf of someone. And some are so absorbed in their prayers and offering to Lord Sri Krsna, that they are in a world of their own, as if nothing else is around them.


The Damodarastakam prayers continue, and I listen to each verse, trying to remember the translation for each one. I make a mental note to bring the translation with me on a piece of paper tomorrow, to remind myself what I am singing about. At the end of each verse, the singer goes back to the first and main verse of the prayers, and with that brings a faster and more excited beat, as if everyone were about to get up and jump around the room. The temple room fills up around me with more people sitting down after they finish their lamp offerings.

Soon, the beat gets faster and faster, as the prayers come to a close. Madhava's face is shining above all the accumulated deepas and He seems to be smiling a little wider than usual. The gopi's jewellery sparkle in the dim light and Sri Radhika sweet face glows. What better place to be than here! How can I imagine life beyond this?


As the kirtan party begin a new beat and song, I bow down in obeisance and head out to the back door to get my small lamp. Outside the night air is refreshing, and the fairy lights draped over the large lotus building create dancing shadows everywhere. I enjoy the cool breeze for a short while before dipping my un-lit wick into a bowl of camphor and entering the temple room again.

Now its my turn to offer a lamp, and I have a few prayers of my own.




Photos by Mandakini


No comments:

Post a Comment